Wednesday, November 3, 2010

"We get to build bridges with music" - Dan Zanes

Little Airplane Productions, NYC
  
Tonight I visited Little Airplane Productions to hear panelists discuss children's music. I wasn't exactly sure what to expect but I'm certainly thrilled I attended. The panel included Chris Cerf, Tom Chapin, Jeffrey Lesser, Dan Zanes (fellow Brooklynite) and moderated by Mindy Thomas.
It was very informative and there's a whole untapped market (the pre-tweens group) just waiting to be developed. 

Grammy Award (and Emmy Award winner by the way) Chris Cerf was on hand to discuss one of my favorite childhood shows (and I'm sure one of yours too) SESAME STREET! Remember the song "Letter B"? Well you can thank Chris for that and many more.

Tom Chapin, who's been in the business for over 30 years, explained that although the business has changed and is changing, one thing remains the same: children! They all have the same basic needs and have been pretty consistent as an audience. Children loved to be entertained!

As an added bonus, I was able to meet Jeffrey Lesser and Josh Selig after the Q&A. Why an added bonus? Because they are part of the creative team of "The Wonder Pets!". Now if you have no clue who "The Wonder Pets!" are don't feel bad, I had NO IDEA who they were either until my goddaughter, Z, visited one day. As soooooon as the theme song came on, she automatically gravitated towards the television.
Move over Charlie's Angels...the Wonder Pets are in town!

Surprisingly enough a bird, a hamster and a turtle teach children about teamwork and helping other animals in distress, and before you know it, I too was watching the show.
Here I am with Josh Selig.
He's the reason everytime I hear the phone ring I have the urge to sing:
"The phone, the phone is ringing..." lol

Jeffrey Lesser, Music Director for "The Wonder Pets!"
His credits include Barbra Streisand, Sting...
 and me (but he doesn't know about the "me" part yet...shhh lol)

And you never know who you might run into in NYC:
Carol Maillard from "Sweet Honey in the Rock"

Here I am with my first Emmy!
Ok so it's Jeffrey's, but hey a girl could dream!


No comments: