Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Happy Cinco de Mayo People!

Ok I've been slipping with this blog; the days are getting warmer and I just don't know how to act! I mean the sandals are out, the skin is showing...THIS is my kinda weather! And soooooo much has been happening in the world! My goodness! Someone tried to vaporize NYC (people, people, c'mon!), Iceland's volcano proved to us that we are all subject to Mother Nature's plans, Halle Berry and Gaby breakup :( (hey I was really rooting for them) and Naomi Campbell confesses on Oprah that she doesn't think she is beautiful? (She is STUNNING to me by the way!)

The world has gone mad I tell you... MAD!!

However, many great things ARE also happening elsewhere in the globe. Recently I went to Grammy Jam in NYC where I had the pleasure of not only meeting some of the best in the music business but also seeing them perform!
Here's the beautiful and talented Nicki Richards, who rocked the house, especially with her version of the Tina Turner classic "Proud Mary".

Nicki Richards, tiny but powerful


Beth Ravin (percussions)


Tom Chapin on auto harp (Grammy Award singer/ songwriter)


Mr Freddie Jackson with an impressive rendition of his hit "You Are My Lady"


With Gordon Chambers after the show (who penned "I apologize" by Anita Baker and so many more)

Now I didn't get a chance to meet this lady because most of the time she was deep in convo and I didn't want to interrupt, but I would've liked to....
...and this must be the biggest hat I have ever seen! Maybe she's a designer or something...

 
Lady with fabulous hat!

Then I FINALLY met Musical Director Ray Chew! I've wanted to meet him ever since his work on Alicia Keys' "Diary" and I thought maybe one day at the Grammys or something, and whaddya know...

Ray Chew and I at Grammy Jam :)
(Proof that dreams DO come true!)


...and here I am with the gracious, Producer extraordinaire Barry Eastmond.

And Mothers' Day is this weekend....are you ready? Honestly, I believe mothers should be honored EVERY day. This whole theory of celebrating on that one day till next year ? Uh uh!
Now I admit I sit back and reap the benefits. I love getting the phone calls, the texts, the flowers, the gifts, breakfast, lunch AND dinner invitations...I love it all! I LOVE FEELING DA LOVE!!! But really, moms have the brunt of the 'bull' work everyday! (Some moms, and some dads too, but the focus is on the mamas right now). 
A Mother deserves to be treated like the Queen she is EVERY SINGLE DAY!! Motherhood beats ANY full-time job you could ever imagine. Yes, moms tend to get on your nerves, (I think that's a pre-requisite) you NEVER understand what they mean when you're younger but when you're older, if you're lucky, you come to realize just how invaluable they really are.
Moms are Blessed with that 'gut' feeling that protects you for a lifetime. They think of you when you're sick, well, happy, sad, near or far. It is a love that is simply inexplicable.
And yes, many of you COULD counter argue "not MY mom!, she was horrible and did  XYZ to me" and perhaps that is true, but be ever mindful that she IS human and we are all prone to making mistakes. Whatever the issue lying between you, is it SO bad that you cannot call her and tell her how much you love her? That even though you don't understand why she acted/ acts a certain way you just want her to know that you appreciate her? If God forbid something happened to her, would you be okay with the way things are between the two of you? Sometimes it's complicated, I understand, so I wish you and your mom all the best.
And we all know a mom isn't someone who just gave birth to you. A mom is someone who has taken on that role and cared for you, nurtured you, protected you and loved you unconditionally.
So if you are a mom, hats off to you! I KNOW the work it takes to raise a child/ children and all my love and blessings to you and your family.
And if you are not a mom, I wish you and your family the best all the same.
Happy Mothers' Day today and everyday!
Luv from my heart straight to yours!
Mandy



No comments: