Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Within 3 decades on the same date...

On January 26th 1934, Huey "Piano" Smith was born in 'Nawlins' (New Orleans) Louisiana. He is "a rhythm and blues pianist whose sound was influential in rock and roll".


Huey "Piano" Smith
(Google Images)

Some of his famous hits are "Rockin Pneumonia and the Boogie Woogie Flu", "Don't You Just Know It" and "High Blood Pressure".

On January 26th 1944, Angela Davis was born.
Angela Davis was "a vocal activist during the Civil Rights Movement and a former Black Panther". Supposedly she joined the organization after the assassination of Dr Martin Luther King Jr in 1968. She
has been "an activist and writer promoting women's rights and racial justice while pursuing her career as a philosopher and teacher".


Angela Davis
(Google Images)

On January 26th 1958, Ms Anita Baker was born in Toledo, Ohio. The Grammy award-winning singer/songwriter is one of the first voices in which I fell in love.


Anita Baker
(Google Images)

I remember visiting my aunt in Long Island one Summer vacation, and she had Anita blasting in the house. I was waaaaaaay too young to know what love is, (ok I'm STILL too young to know what love is lol) but I remember being so touched by her music that I played her cds over and over and over and over.... "No One In The World", "My Funny Valentine"....Lord knows I searched high and low until I finally found her cd with "Fairy Tales" lol.
Some songs just take you back in time...everytime I hear "Giving You The Best That I've Got" I'm taken back to a wedding I attended when I was younger (you know when you're young your family always volunteers you to be the friggin flower girl at SOMEBODY's wedding!) Well I remember the bride's sister singing this song to her and I thought 'THIS is going to be my wedding song!'

...of course years later I've changed 'my wedding song' ....millions of times lol


No comments: